three things – january 2018.

02/01/2018

It’s a new year, and along with that, I’m brushing off the blog. The perfect time to commit to writing and connecting more. I can’t tell you how much I missed that in the 2017 fog. So to start, I’m switching up my currently series to this: my three favorite things each month.

With that, here are my January favorites…

1 – maple cardamom almond milk lattes

One of the perks of city living: walking (or cruiser biking) to the neighborhood coffee shop. We’ve been going to ours, Angry Catfish, nearly every weekend for the same coffee – a maple cardamom almond milk latte. With a hint of maple sweetness and a slight reminder of my mom’s cardamom krumkake at Christmas, it’s so good. Also awesome: the coffee shop itself because it’s also a bike shop. Win-win.

2 – running outside

OK… in all fairness, I don’t love running outside when it feels like -15F. Or in the dark for five months. Despite that, though, I do love running outside year-round, even in winter’s freezing darkness. It gets me outside – fresh air! – when I otherwise would likely hibernate inside all winter. There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing, right?! Bundle up properly – here’s what I wear for most runs below 30F – and head out. The brisk fresh air is invigorating and a great reminder that you’re alive.

3 – reading nights

In 2017, there was no shortage of Netflix and Hulu binge-watching. We plowed through West World, Grey’s Anatomy (well, I did – all 13 seasons… I’m kinda embarrassed to admit that), The Handmaid’s Tale, Ozark, Spotlight, House of Cards, Stranger Things, This is Us. TOO MUCH TV. All that mindless autoplay made the year a bit of an anxious Groundhog Day blur. So this January, Nick and I kicked off no TV Tuesdays + Thursdays. Instead: reading. We light a fire, and I settle in on the sofa chaise with Luma, and Nick settles in on his recliner, and we read. And it’s been fantastic. But most importantly – it’s made me calmer and more in control of my attention.

Reads this month: Alias Grace and The Bright Hour (the latter is a must-read – it’s beautiful). And I’m a few chapters into The Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down and Rise to the Occasion and about a third through Lilac Girls

What about you guys? Any current favorites this month?

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Beth 02/01/2018 at 8:39 am

I’ve missed your posts Erin! I can’t wqit to follow along while you train and race. Living vicariously through other athletes this year 😆

• Reply erin 02/12/2018 at 10:05 pm

Thank you, Beth! Excited for your adventure, too! Hope you’re feeling well :)

• Reply SimplyAmyLynn 02/01/2018 at 8:55 am

Reading in front of the fireplace is the best! I try to do it once a week in the afternoon while Chris is at kindergarten. If you’re interested in some Canadian reading ;) Louise Penny is an amazing mystery author-her stories usually take place in and around Quebec.

• Reply erin 02/12/2018 at 10:06 pm

Right?! THE best. So glad you’re able to find some time to read in front of the fireplace, too, Amy! Ooo… thanks for the author recommendation. Will look her up!

• Reply Christine 02/01/2018 at 9:58 pm

Implementing no TV Tuesday and thursdays! Thanks for a great idea.

• Reply erin 02/12/2018 at 10:07 pm

Yeah! It’s so nice – happy reading! Any good book recommendations?

• Reply Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete 02/02/2018 at 9:08 am

Yes… no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing! After a treadmill run last night, I was reminded why I pretty much exclusively run outside ALL year round :) Love the idea of more reading for more calm!

• Reply erin 02/12/2018 at 10:08 pm

Yay for another winter runner! It’s really pretty awesome, right?! Except for right now because I’m so antsy for spring (and done with subzero temps) :) Hope you’re well, Kelsey!

• Reply Allison 02/02/2018 at 2:12 pm

I’m totally with you on no tv nights! I decided no tv mon-thurs (unless I’m on the trainer ;) and I’m on book 10 of the year!! Can’t wait to see what you read

• Reply erin 02/12/2018 at 10:09 pm

So impressed with all your reading! I’d totally be game for no TV Monday through Thursday, but I’d have to talk Nick into it ;) Excited to see what else you read this year, too!

your thoughts…