When it comes to the upper midwest in February, you never know what weather you’re gonna get. It can swing in a second… from big fluffy snowflakes to freezing rain to sunshine.
Case in point: Nick’s fifth American Birkebeiner last weekend in Hayward. The day started out fairly mild – around 30F – with a few peeks of sun, but by midday it had fully clouded over and was drizzling. Not overly enjoyable or exactly warm in northern Wisconsin, especially when you’ve been standing outside for about eight hours!
But, these small but mighty Zippo hand warmer were perfect for spectating and sherpa-ing – and for keeping my always cold hands toasty warm (hello, occasional Raynaud’s!).
The 12-hour chrome hand warmer at the double zero trailhead.
The six-hour Zippo hand warmer.
The hand warmer – available in both a six-hour and 12-hour version – is super easy to use. Simply fill with Zippo lighter fluid (using what looks like a mini gas can… ha!), light with a windproof lighter, and you’re good to go. A black fleece warming bag keeps the heat gentle on your skin.
Both sizes fit perfect in my mittens as I was cheering up and down the Birkie trail. And, when Nick finished the race – a 30-minute PR! – he promptly stole the 12-hour warmer from me to warm up his hands!
What I love about the hand warmers:
- They’re super easy to use.
- They emit a steady, consistent heat.
- They’re odorless (I even lit one in the car – while parked – though that probably wasn’t the smartest idea!).
- They’re reusable! Because reduce, reuse and recycle, always.
- And, they’re great to use for all outdoor winter adventures – from spectating a ski race to snowshoeing to waiting at the bus stop (seriously, why didn’t I have one of these that first winter I lived in MSP and took the bus to work?!).
Interested in trying the Zippo hand warmer? I’m happy to offer one heat gift set (a windproof lighter, the 12-hour hand warmer and premium lighter fluid) to a lucky reader. To enter, tell me in a comment below how you’d use a Zippo hand warmer during the winter. I’ll randomly choose one person at 9p CT on Monday, February 29. If you don’t win, use code GETHEATED for $5 off through February 29.
Full disclosure: I was compensated for this post. Views are mine. That said, I only post about products I believe in and use!